Monday, July 7, 2008

Higher

Last month i was able to attend TeenPact National Convention. It was an amazing week. I met dozens of new friends, listened to great speakers, played some great games of Frisbee, and made lasting memories. But what i enjoyed most were some of the conversations i had.

Students who go to the TeenPact state classes are usually smart people with a great deal of sense. The attendees of TeenPact NC, however, are the most dedicated, hard working, and studious of the state classes. So some of the best teens from 38 states come to one place for a week. The atmosphere is amazing. Sure, there were conversations about favorite movies, youtube videos, the latest best seller fiction book, cars, etc., but I would say that over half of the discussions that i overheard or took part in were much deeper than that. Conversations about C.S. Lewis, solutions to the economy problem, the Presidential election, Tolkien, Henty, and Iraq were commonplace. But almost as often as all those put together were bible discussions. Everyday small groups would talk about the day's bible verses and share ideas and beliefs. Later in the week, a group of about 25 or 30 met in the morning outside the main auditorium for a heated discussion about the depravity of man (long story).

As the only PB there, I had to explain to many what i believe, from why i only use KJV to what i believe about the preservation of the saints. The whole experience was very spiritual and really forced me to dig more in my bible for verse after verse in discussion after discussion. I feasted in talking to other Christians (Baptist, Reformed, Presbyterian, etc) about the bible and Christ.

Then, about 4 days into the week, I stepped back and wondered why it isn't like that at home among my circle of close friends. They and I are all committed Christians, of different denominations, yes, but so was everyone at TeenPact. None of our discussions are bad, to the contrary, most of them are at a high intellectual level. Next to none of them, however, are about the bible, prayer, things we are struggling with, or anything spiritual.

Why? Why is that?
1Th 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

Why did the people at National Convention and I obey that verse during that week but I and my best friends don't at home?

Pro 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

My friends who live close to me and I see each other all the time, but are we strengthening each other?

Rom 15:14 And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

We all read our bibles, we all pray, and go to church, but we never talk about it. We don't strengthen each other in the Lord.

I have a theory about why this paradox exists. I've known the friends who live close to me for years. Some, i never remember meeting for the first time. And I think because of that, the relationship between us has remained at the same level for all these years.

1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

While we may no longer play with Hot Wheel cars or shoot at each other with cap guns, the conversation has never bumped up to a higher level. We now talk about ideas for a better energy source, the physics behind a certain action, memories, movies; we play games, and have lots of good, clean fun. But nothing deeper. With people i meet for the first time at places like college, National Convention, or wherever, we are both mature; and the relationship begins at a higher level. My relationship with my home gang, however, hasn't been bumped up yet.

Heb 5:12-14 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

I long for bible discussions with those who are my best friends. I want singing of hymns to be a favorite past time with the home gang, not just with all my PB friends (who i see far too seldom). What will it take for us to break the status quo? I wish i knew. When we're all together, I never remember that i want to try to do something about it- it's only after everyone has left. Maybe one day soon....

Gabe

You may value the friendships of youth and of age,
And select for my comrades the noble and sage;
But the friends that most cheer me on life's rugged road,
Are the friends of my Master--the children of God.

No comments: